Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Scram SRAM...I'm going back to Shimano

Earlier in the year I picked up a 2010 Shimano SLX shadow rear derailleur for $45, from One Ghost Industries (http://www.oneghostindustries.blogspot.com/). I've been wanting to switch back to Shimano because I just haven't been happy with the SRAM stuff. Till now the cost has been the major factor along with the fact that I just did not want to switch out a part unless its broken or just not working properly. Since I had to replace the chain and rear cog with new parts, I figured it was the time to install the derailleur as well. It took a bit of digging but I found a Shimano rear derailleur shifter in my garage along with a new cable and housing. The new housing is silver so it a nice change from the black and I also found some aluminum cable end caps which look pretty trick and match the rear link. It took a bit of fiddling with but I was able to dial everything in pretty well. This thing shifts awesome now, it's so precise. I also prefer the look of the new rear mech over the old one.


2 comments:

  1. What are you doing with all your SRAM parts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure yet, I would like to reuse them if I could but the derailleur is shot. A piece actually fell out of it when I took it off my bike. I actually have three x-9 rear mechs and I was thinking maybe I could build up one good one out of the since some of the parts seem to be still in good shape.

    ReplyDelete